Join the Webinar to be held September 12 at 1 p.m. EST/10 a.m. PST
SEATTLE, August 29, 2017 /PRWeb/—InDemand Interpreting, a technology-enabled medical interpreting company, announced a webinar: “Language Access for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons – Patients’ Rights and Providers’ Obligations.” This webinar is hosted in partnership with Critical Measures, a national management consulting and training organization specializing in cross-cultural healthcare and the law of language access.
InDemand Interpreting immediately connects healthcare professionals to medically qualified interpreters 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in more than 200 languages, including American Sign Language (ASL) with access to Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDIs), across the care continuum. VRI technology enables clinicians to provide greater language access for LEP, Deaf and hard of hearing (HOH) patients, improving overall patient care.
This webinar will discuss Deaf, LEP and HOH patients’ legal rights to language access and providers’ legal obligations to accommodate those rights under the ADA and new section 1557 changes to the ACA. In particular, the webinar will address the following critical issues:
- How are the language access rights of LEP, Deaf and HOH patients different?
- What language access rights do Deaf and HOH patients have under the ADA and new Section 1557 changes to the Affordable Care Act?
- What must healthcare providers do to comply with federal language access laws for Deaf and HOH patients?
- Who has the legal right to decide what form of language access accommodation will be provided to Deaf and HOH patients? Is it the patient or provider?
- New state and federal judicial decisions are affecting the legal rights of Deaf and HOH patients and the legal obligations of providers. How will these decisions change the legal landscape?
- Many Deaf and HOH patients dislike Video Remote Interpreting. How will recent court decisions affect the use of this rapidly emerging medium and what are language access vendors and the Deaf community doing to improve the effectiveness of VRI?
- What can be done to improve providers’ level of preparedness to treat Deaf and HOH patients?
- What are emerging best practices and recommended minimum technological standards for providing language access to Deaf and HOH patients?
The featured speakers for this webinar are David B. Hunt, CEO of Critical Measures, Kalen Beck, a Senior Consultant with Critical Measures, and Debbie Lesser Poisson, Director ASL Services and Learning Development for InDemand Interpreting. Mr. Hunt is a former civil rights attorney and a national expert on the law of language access in health care. Kalen Beck brings more than 25 years of language access expertise to the healthcare field as a nationally certified ASL/English interpreter and previous director of language operations at Oregon Health and Science University. Debbie Lesser has spent more than 20 years as a nationally certified sign language interpreter specializing in medical interpreting and advocacy for Deaf patients to fully participate in their own healthcare.
“We are delighted to host webinars that support a deeper understanding of language access and the law within healthcare, ultimately leading to greater access to quality healthcare for all patients nationwide.” said Casey Zanetti, VP Marketing, InDemand Interpreting.
For more information about the webinar and to sign up, please visit: https://www.indemandinterpreting.com/upcoming-events/upcoming-eventslanguage-access-deaf-hard-hearing-persons-patients-rights-providers-obligations/
About InDemand Interpreting
InDemand Interpreting was founded in 2007 with the vision of ensuring that every patient receives the highest quality healthcare, regardless of language, cultural background or disability. By delivering the most experienced medical interpreters and highest quality video technology InDemand Interpreting provides doctors, nurses and clinicians the language access they need to provide the best possible care. Visit InDemand at medical interpreter